Perfect 4 Day Itinerary for Chamonix, France
It is difficult to explain the beauty found in Chamonix – you have to just see it for yourself. Whether it is for a winter wonderland full of skiing and hot beverages or immersion in nature though hiking in the long summer months, Chamonix has something for everyone. Our four day trip proved to be the perfect amount of time to experience the highlight reel from the tops of mountain peaks to the valley with glaciers, adventure awaits!
Know before you go
- Chamonix is situated at the intersection of France, Italy, and Switzerland where the Alps extend high into the sky.
- While they speak French, Chamonix attracts many tourists from the UK so everyone speaks English. However, go into this trip with a few basic French phrases.
- The city is very walkable so everything is nearby and there is no need to rent a car.
- Make sure if you have a credit card with no foreign transaction fee – highly recommend getting one if not – that will be fine for your trip. You can also take out euros to use.
- Check out this post on what to expect when visiting Chamonix for more information!
- The best way to get here is by train or plane if you are not driving distance. We flew into Geneva as it is the closest airport and took a transfer from the airport to Chamonix.
Get the Free DESKRIB Guide to learn how to use Google Flights to find the best flight deals – sign up here!
Where to stay?
While there are many towns that you could stay in, we stayed directly in Chamonix and my goodness the views were just spectacular. We loved this Airbnb we stayed in. More details on where to stay can be found in what to expect when visiting Chamonix.
To get the Free DESKRIB Guide “How to Find the Perfect Airbnb” – sign up here!
What is there to do?
- Go to the top of Aiguille du Midi for the most amazing view onto of the mountains.
- Take the red train to visit the Mer de Glace glacier which includes a picture perfect train ride through the mountains and the opportunity to walk inside the glacier.
- Depending on the season, indulge in the beautiful nature by hiking or selecting the winter activity of your choice – the options are endless!
- Even if you are not a hiker or skier, take the various gondola rides to the top to enjoy epic views. There is even the opportunity to paraglide down!
- Visit one of the spas for a treat-yo-self day which is especially welcomed in the winter months.
- There is a really fun luge alpine coaster that is well worth a few rides!
Where to eat?
From french countryside cooking to gourmet hot dogs to fine dining meals, there is something for everyone! While we were only there a few days and could not try everything, we loved the laces we visited and would definitely recommend them.
- Visit La Fine Bouche for lunch – it is small so get there at open or making reservations ahead of time.
- Micro-Brasserie de Chamonix, MBC is where everyone hangs out after a long day of skiing for pub fare.
- There is something magical about Cool Cats hot dog joint – it should not be as good as it is but it’s really delicious.
- Cheese Love will make you a lovely cheese plate – grab a bottle of wine in the store and you have a perfect picnic.
- Panier des 4 Saisons was out favorite dinner of the trip and recommend it for at least one of your dinners (if not more!).
Here was our complete itinerary!
|Day 0||Arrive in Chamonix|
|Day 1||Aiguille du Midi|
Luge Alpine Coaster
Explore downtown Chamonix
|Day 2||Ski Day – La Flégère|
|Day 3||Mer de Glace|
Read the full trip details here!
See all blog blogs about our trip to Chamonix here!
Read what to expect when visiting Chamonix for more information!
If you have been to Chamonix before, let me know what I missed and what your favorites are!