Perfect 4 Day Itinerary for Lyon, France
Lyon – the Capital of Gastronomy! The second largest city in France was full of culinary greatest and we can validate it is worth every calorie. I knew we would be returning the France as we had such a fantastic trip to Paris and wanted to explore more of of the country. Lyon continued to pop up so we knew there was something special going on there. My birthday trip seemed like the perfect time to work Lyon into our 2019 travel schedule. Ahh fall in Europe – the Lyonnaise cuisine, the Cote du Rhone wine, the streets full of bakery smells filling the crisp air. We fell in love with Lyon as we felt it had the perfect balance of historic preservation and modern living style. Every meal was exceptional, pinching ourselves that this place exists. With many activities in and around the city, Lyon made for a perfect getaway.
What is there to do?
- You must not miss the rooftop tour at the basilique – do not just go inside La Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière but sign up to go on the Fourvière Rooftop Tour. We almost missed it and it would have been tragic!
- Discover the Cote du Rhone wine region – we booked with Lyon Wine Tours – Northern Cote du Rhone for a full day wine tour which was wonderful
- Get lost in Lyon! Wander the streets and absorb the magic.
- There are many surrounding towns that make for a great half day trip – we discovered the medieval preserved town of Pérouges
Where to eat?
Food is an essential part of the journey through Lyon so do not miss it. The decisions will be tough as there are over 1,500 places for food in the city.
- You must visit a bouchon for classic dishes – still drooling thinking about that meal!
- Lunch stop should include L’instant fromage for all your cheese dreams to come true
- Want to experience one of the top dining experiences in the world? Make a reservation at Paul Bocuse.
- We had fantastic meals that were unbelievable creative and delicious at La Boeuf d’Argent and La Mutinerie so I can definitely recommend them as well
- If you are there over the weekend, do not miss the Saint Antoine Market – it is simply amazing and was inspiring to cook at home
Here was our complete itinerary!
|Tuesday||Night||Flight to Lyon|
|Afternoon||Checked into Airbnb|
|Evening||Les Bateaux Lyonnais Boat|
|Night||Le Bistrot d’Abel|
|Evening||La Cave Des Voyageurs||Paul Bocuse|
|Friday||Morning||Lyon Wine Tours – Northern Cote du Rhone||Slake Coffee House|
|Afternoon||Bar a Gourmet|
|Saturday||Morning||Saint Antoine Market||Puzzle Cafe Boulangerie du Palais|
|Afternoon||La Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière||L’instant fromageAux Merveilleux De Fred|
|Evening||Fourvière Rooftop Tour|
|Night||La Boeuf d’Argent|
|Sunday||Morning||Saint Antoine Market|
Read the full trip details here!
If you have been to Lyon before, let me know what I missed and what your favorites are!