Emilia Romagna – Bologna, Modena, and Parma, Italy
The ultimate foodie trip. Emilia Romagna is a powerhouse of DOP products – “Protected Designation of Origin” that certifies the products are locally grown/produced and maintain a certain level of quality that only the DOP designation can guarantee. To name a few hits, balsamic vinegar, culatello, prosciutto, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese all stem from this region. While Bologna is just a portion of the Emilia Romagna, it is a great hub to explore the many offerings of the region for day trips out to Modena and Parma.
What is there to do?
Oh goodness, you really just eat your way through Emilia Romagna! Book yourself on a few excursions to see how the sausage is made – all come with samples of course!
- Learn the process of making famous Parmigiano Reggiano and Prosciutto di Parma in Parma
- Experience the art of pasta making yourself in Bologna
- Visit an award wining balsamic vinegar producer in Modena
We did not do this but for car lovers, visit “Motor Valley”. Did you know Emilia Romagna is the world’s highest concentration of luxury brands including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati. There are plenty of opportunities not only to visit but to drive these vehicles as well.
Do not underestimate the journey of simply wandering through the streets in each of these towns – there is a magic that cannot be matched.
Where to eat?
Eat. Eat. Eat. All you will do it eat some of the most delicious food in the world. And you will eat if you venture on the experiences mentioned above but do not miss out of some incredible dining experiences.
- Unless you have your heart set on the famous Osteria Francesca, book at Hosteria Giusti in Modena.
- If you have time in Modena to visit Acetaia Pedroni for balsamic vinegar, do not miss the rustic dining experience at Osteria di Rubbiara
- We had many favorites in Bologna but for a unique and creative twist on traditional dishes, visit Trattoria da Me
- Oh, and gelato every day is a must
Here was our complete itinerary!
|Travel Overnight||Night||Flight to Milan|
|Day 1||Morning||Train to Modena|
|Afternoon||Train to Bologna||Hosteria Giusti
Bloom Naturalmente Gelato
|Evening||Explore Bologna||Sfoglia Rina
|Day 2||Morning||Train to Parma|
|Afternoon||Trattoria al Trabunale
|Evening||Train to Bologna
|Day 3||Morning||Churches and Piazzas||Pappare|
|Afternoon||Pasta Risotto Bologna – Pasta making class|
|Evening||The Archiginnasio – Anatomy Theatre and Stabat Mater Lecture hall
The Two Towers
Alma Mater School
Osteria del Sole
|Day 4||Morning||Train to Modena|
|Afternoon||Acetaia Pedroni||Osteria di Rubbiara|
|Evening||Train to Milan|
|Day 5||Morning||Flight home|
Read the full trip details here!
If you have been to Emilia Romagna before, let me know what I missed and what your favorites are!