Perfect 3 Day Itinerary for Charlottesville, Virginia
After having such a fun time exploring a lesser known wine region in the Finger Lakes last year, we took to opportunity to see where else in the country has a growing wine scene. Kevin had been hearing about the brew scene in Charlottesville and it did not take long for us to commit. A long weekend trip in July would be perfect for hiking, wine tasting, craft beer, little history, and amazing food! Definitely a well rounded trip with something for everyone. We were so impressed by what Charlottesville has to offer and lucky for us, my cousin moved there and we cannot wait to explore more!
Where to stay?
Since there is so much to do in downtown and outside of downtown, it is helpful to have a car for exploring. We really liked the location of this Airbnb as it was extremely close to downtown but also to the highway to take us out into the surrounding areas.
Get the Free DESKRIB Guide “How to Find the Perfect Airbnb” – sign up here!
What is there to do?
- Go hiking in Shenandoah National Park – there are so many trails to choose from, some of which are on the Appalachian Trail
- There are a bunch of caverns and caves to explore such as Luray Caverns
- Visit wineries and breweries – there are way to many to list here so pick the ones you are most interested in. As one recommendation that stands out, visit Kings Family Vineyard for a polo match!
- Carter Mountain Orchard is a fun spot with incredible views as well – perfect for sunset. During the summer, they are known to offer outdoor events with music and food trucks. The Country Store offers tons of baked goods (known for apple cider donuts and apples products of all kinds).
- Dive into some history by visiting Jefferson’s Monticello Estate – beautiful grounds and very informative
- Spend time at the Downtown Mall – there are so many awesome shops to visit
Where to eat?
We barley scratched the surface of all the dining options so I will throw that in as a caveat! I have some homework to do on a return trip!
- For breakfast, hit Bluegrass Grill and Bakery – trust me, it is worth the wait
- If you have something to celebrate or want a more elegant evening, make reservations at Ivy Inn Restaurant
Here is a complete itinerary!
As with most 3 day weekends, I like to travel on Thursday after work to get the most out of the three days at the destination.
|Day 0||Evening||Arrive in Charlottesville|
|Day 1||Morning||Farmer’s Market|
|Afternoon||Wine Tasting and Brewery Hopping|
|Day 2||Morning||Shenandoah National Park|
|Afternoon||Kings Family Vineyard- Polo|
|Evening||The Wool Factory|
|Day 3||Morning||Jefferson’s Monticello Estate|
Read the full trip details here!
Read all blog posts about Charlottesville here!
If you have been to Charlottesvile before, let me know what I missed and what your favorites are!