Sometimes you do not have to go far to have an adventure! Kevin had visiting the Hudson Valley for this year’s birthday trip and since there is quite a bit of real estate that make up the region, we focused on Hyde Park. This area is centrally located for hiking, culinary treats, craft beer, and a step back in history. The Culinary Institute for America was the closest thing to Hogwarts as I have ever seen and that alone is worth it!
Where to stay?
The Airbnb we found is definitely one of the best views to date – I wanted to stay longer just to enjoy the place. There are tons of day trip options to sub into or add on to this itinerary so the options are endless.
Get the Free DESKRIB Guide “How to Find the Perfect Airbnb” – sign up here!
What is there to do?
- Take a tour of the Culinary Institute of America
- There is tons of hiking available – we chose to find the waterfall at Kaaterskill Falls
- Going in the winter? There are several mountains that offer skiing, snowboarding, and tubing
- Visit the FDR Museum, even if you are not a history buff there are great exhibits
- Do-it-yourself brewery, cider, or winery tour
- Take half day trips to any of the neighboring towns – there are many to chose from, we visited Rhinebeck
Where to eat?
- Head back to Culinary Institute of America – there are several places to eat and I do not think you can go wrong, we dined at American Bounty
- We ate breakfast every morning at Cranberry’s at Tilley Hall – thank god it was near the Airbnb!
- While we went here for the beer, there are the most delicious sandwiches ever at Hyde Park Brewing so make it one of your lunch stops
- If you visit Rhinebeck, go to The Amsterdam – fantastic farm to table fare – one of the best spots in the area!
Here is a complete itinerary!
As with most 3 day weekends, I like to travel on Thursday after work to get the most out of the three days at the destination.
|Day 0||Night||Drive to Hudson Valley|
|Day 1||Morning||Kaaterskill Falls|
|Afterboon||Hyde Park Brewing |
Hudson Ale Works
|Evening||Culinary Institute of America|
|Day 2||Morning||Catskills hike|
|Day 3||Morning||Vanderbilt Mansion|
|Afternoon||Equilibrium Brewing |
Read the full trip details here!
If you have been to Hyde Park before, let me know what I missed and what your favorites are!