Rough Draft Itinerary: Anna Maria Island, Florida
Due to the COVID quarantine, I am creating rough draft, “off the shelf” travel itineraries for when travel resumes normal operations so we do not waste any time getting out and exploring!
Well, this island is gorgeous! I received a request to find a family friendly beach town in Florida and I immediately thought of Anna Maria Island. While I have not been there personally, I had this spot on retainer in the back of my mind. TimTraker – a theme park vlogger – mentioned on several occasions how much they love Anna Maria Island and that was all I needed to know. It is super family friendly and not like some of the other beaches along Florida coast – it is very chill and relaxed with an old Florida charm where people ride the free trolley or ride bikes around.
What is there to do?
- Beach time (obviously) – The Manatee Public Beach
- Pier hopping – many piers make up the non-beach area and have places to eat and shop, can rent bikes to explore
- Sunsets are incredible here!
- Boat ride to see dolphins or you may even be there for turtle nesting season!
- Visit Robinson Preserve – boardwalk trail area to explore
- Sand Dollar Painting at The Shiny Fish Emporium – very popular among families and makes a fun souvenir (could turn into an ornament)
- Day trip to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium – “Dolphin Tale” dolphin lives here – also good rain day activity
- Day trip to South Florida Museum and Planetarium – also good rain day activity
Where to eat?
- The Donut Experiment – custom donuts! (Must do on the daily)
- Anna Maria Island Beach Cafe at Holmes Beach – on the weekends all you can eat pancakes
- Duffy’s – burgers
- Smoqe House BBQ – very well rated BBQ
- Ginny and Jane Cafe – breakfast spot
- Ugly Grouper – funny spot, family friendly with extensive kids menu
- Vinny’s Italian Kitchen – comfort food Italian
- Scott’s Deli – even delivers to the beach
- Wicked Cantina or Poppo’s Taqueria – Mexican food and margaritas
- The Doctor’s Office – in case you need a cocktail, this is *the* place
Here is how I would create a three day trip that can easily be extended to include more beach time or even an addition to areas like Clearwater or Tampa. The more days you have, the more flexible you can be to dedicate the best weather days to your beach time.
|Evening||Explore are near |
Food: The Ugly Grouper
|Day 1||Morning||Manatee Beach|
Food: Anna Maria Island
Food: Scott’s Deli – beach delivery!
|Evening||Bike rentals for pier hoping|
|Day 2||Morning||Food: Ginny’s & Jane’s Cafe|
Food: The Donut Experiment
|Afternoon||Beach Point Beach|
Food: Poppo’s Taqueria
|Evening||Sunset at Beach Point Beach|
|Day 3||Morning||Excursion: Dolphin Boat Ride|
If you have been to Anna Maria Island before, let me know what I missed and what your favorites are!
Don’t forget to check out all DESKRIB itineraries here!